Chat feature via plugin for Google Chrome web browser
You will be redirected to the author website to complete the download.
- Category Add-ons
- Program license Free
- Version for Chrome 2014.604.433.1
- Works under: Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP
- Program available in English
- Program by Google
Google Talk for Chrome, better known as Google Talk, is a type of VoIP software offered by Google to transform your Chrome browser into a chat system that lets you make phone calls.
Many people like using VoIP software because it lets them stay in touch with their loved ones without using their cell phones. If you have a pay as you go phone, you may find that you run through your minutes too quickly or that your plan doesn't cover calls to international locations. With Google Talk, you now have the chance to make all the calls you want to make without using a cell phone or a land line. All you need is a microphone that works with your computer and this handy app.
This free app is so easy to use that you'll wonder why you ever bothered picking up a phone in the past. It lets you save your contacts according to their numbers and upload contacts from your Gmail account or other online accounts. You can also organize those contacts to quickly find who you want to call later. Though you can use this with some cell phones, it only works with those running a newer Android operating system. It also does not work with computers and devices running Linux or Apple products.
Released in 2007, Google Talk has an older and slightly outdated look. If you used Skype recently, you'll find that this app looks more like a messaging system than a phone app. It's also worth noting that Google released Hangouts, which is a new app that provides the same services and comes with some new features. While you can still download and use Google Talk over your computer, Google no longer offers any support for the product. There are better and more modern alternatives that let you make phone calls online.
As Google Talk is so basic and easy to use, it's still a good option for older users and those who have older computers. You'll need to sign into your Gmail account and link that account to Google Talk. It will then locate your contacts and let you make phone calls. Those you talk to online must have Gmail accounts of their own too. The more contacts you have in your email account, the more ways you can use Google Talk.
- Simple and basic chat program
- Keeps a list of all your contacts via your Gmail account
- Lets you make free VoIP calls over the internet
- Compatible with many Android and Windows devices
- Lets you transfer files during talks
- Google no longer offers any official support for the product
- Replaced by the newer Google Hangouts
- Looks outdated when compared to Skype and other programs
- Does not let you customize the app
- Requires that all users have a Gmail account